Sunday, November 26, 2006

Great Food Memories!

Smells have an immense ability to take us somewhere. To whisk us away to a fonder more beautifully thought of time. Whether it be a candle, or bread baking, or your favorite desert; each one of us has something that takes us back to a better time. (It probably can take you back to a worse time too, but for this moment we'll deal with only the good ones.) This article came to my while reading a seed about (allow me to be vague-I don't want the federales to know what I mean) pot. No, I'm not high right now, I don't know the cool people, but that is what made me think of writing. I love food, I love working it off too, but I love food. This is a great basis if you really want a place to start. Now, not just any food, but foods from childhood are the best for me in bringing back a memory. Whether it be baklava, or Portuguese Sweet Bread, or quahogs, or even the many fragrances of a real New England clam boil! I love food, but the smells and experience of eating this kind of food is a whole other kind of a good time! I makes me smile from the inside out! Eating was always a huge part of each day when I was a little boy. Everyone seemed to get together and mill around the kitchen while either my Memere or Grand mother or great aunt or great uncle would be going at it stirring up smells and aromatic presents. Cooking was an event and a time for people to reconnect.
I have fond memories of hiding under my Aunt Joyce's dinner table while the ten foot long by four foot wide table would engorge itself with every amazing food my relatives could imagine and even more than I could imagine. What a feast!! A feast for the senses, a feast for the eyes, and one of the fondest memories I have of food! Though the eating of it was incredible as well!
I have a memory, now it was so long ago I don't know if its a memory of actually being there or a memory of being told I was there and this is what happened, but I like the first scenario perspective so here I go. My great aunt and uncle lived in a walk-up in the New Bedford area of Massachusetts. This is a window open, everyone says hi, very warm and safe kind of neighborhood. Smells came at you from everywhere; clothes drying, old cars, wood siding, and food being prepared or even just the sweet left over aroma of the plates of a good breakfast just being cleared.
In my aunt and uncles place, there was a bit of a musty smell at first entering their home, followed then by the rush of everything cooking all throughout the apartment. Fast forward to a few minutes later, pleasantries past, as I walk over to the window and the radiator in front of it. Standing tall and shiny is a huge sauce pot full of the most amazing smelling red sauce, just slowly stewing away on the top of the radiator! You cook where you cook, I guess. I still think of that as being an amazing place and an amazing memory.
What about you, what memory of food do you hold close to you that makes your whole spirit smile?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home