Saturday, December 02, 2006

Play to learn?

I sit here this cold, yet warm and luxurious morning, drinking my hot cup of coffee (actually its probably more likely to be my third or fourth…whatever) and playing with my son. He is exploring his world through play and it hits me, where did I loose that ability? Was it just time that altered that part of me? When did I wake up and allow myself to believe it was acceptable to learn in un-fun ways?

I have always considered myself a fun loving, spontaneous, existential, (okay, okay), and well, I’ve always prided myself on my ability to have fun and laugh!…I obviously used to learn about things that way as well. I am just struggling with my memory of when that STOPPED?! I know many things and I have the ability to learn many more, but how did I learn those things I already know? I would imagine some of the most rudimentary of these things such as how to stand and walk probably were learned though trial and error, but I also believe that even through trial and error, I was probably having fun figuring out how not to butt plant every time I wanted to go pick up a toy. I KNOW I had fun learning to climb, I’ve been told since I was very young that I had an innate sense about how to find my way to the top of something. I am told, when I was but a wee lass, I saw something, what it is isn’t truly important (candy!!) on the top of my dresser and instead of getting upset that it was out of reach I proceeded to pull out each drawer in succession and create a makeshift flight of stairs to the prize!

I realize I got a bit away from my point, sorry. But when did we as adults (or have you?) given up learning through play? I think companies all over the world, anywhere could benefit from a new Human Resources Coup…Learning Through Play! I know it doesn’t have a good acronym (I tried to come up with one that was cool, but I only got as close as CRAP and that is totally off point!) and doesn’t really roll of the tongue, but it’ll do.

I propose; no, challenge…if you will, each of you, the very next opportunity you have to learn something new, try to learn it in the way a child would, with wonderment, curiosity, etc and report back here how it went!
Keep smiling!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home