Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Between parent and person!

Please just be quiet and go upstairs and go to sleep. I understand that your tummy isn’t feeling good, but the heat is set the same way it was last night and the night before that. Yes, I believe that your tummy is hurting and I wish I could do something that made you feel better right away. I would trade places with you in a second if I could, to make your pain go away…no really I would!

These are the nightly rituals or a parent. Not you? Well, I guess I am just “one of those parents” then, huh? I am probably the most patient, caring, and loving parent you will ever meet and I don’t say that as a pat on my back, I say that because I genuinely and sincerely feel that each of us was cut out to be something and for me, that is being a parent! I’m not infallible, I’m not unrealistic, and I’m not even cocky! What I am is a man who lives and breathes as my children live and breathe!!

Do you get what I just said? Do you feel those words resonate through your very being? If not, either I didn’t word it as well as I thought I did, or you haven’t had the fortune to be a parent! (There could be any number of other reasons, come on I aint a shrink!)

Parents can be good, bad, competent, incompetent, ignorant, malicious, and any other word we, as a society use, to describe any other facet of that very society. The line, however, is drawn with this man in that I will not tolerate nor will I let a moment go by without getting down on the floor or the ground or into the car seat or the stroller or swing on the swing or the glider or crawl under the cover (not just a little but all the way down to the foot of the bed!)! I AM that guy! I AM that person! I AM that father!

Being THAT father is my life’s calling! My children not only know this and feel this, they actually GET this! They, as well as other children in my surround, come to me and almost instantly they seem to relate to me. I know you may call it childishness or some other symptom of a less than adult persona, but look at it through my eyes and in this manner. I sum it up in one thought, word, symptom…”If.” Not “If” only. Or “If” I had only…or any other resonance of that same phrase, sentiment, or emotion.

The world opens up to each of us in respect to our own sense of self and ability. Thankfully, mine found me right where I was; enjoying myself, smiling, and loving and living with my children!

I love you Ty and Kayla!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home