Monday, December 18, 2006

You try giving away a free toy!?

Well, here I go with my Scrooge rant for this holiday season!

Many of you are probably familiar with the sterile, or maybe traditional is better, charitable organizations for getting toys and such to needy children in your area. As is typical this time of year, I get hit up from all angles to help out or make a child’s holiday brighter; and I am truly not knocking the organizations that assist with this each year. What I am complaining about is the impersonal and unfeeling WAY in which we seem to have allowed the gift of giving to have changed.

I have two children, though my son is too young to get this quite yet, but my daughter is seven and she has been privy to seeing her parents and those around her give to charities, shelters, etc. But what I was hoping to be able to do this year was to get a toy and actually allow her to give it, in the real sense, in person to a needy or less fortunate child. The anonymous nature in which we “give” these days builds no real moral fiber in our children. You buy a gift, you put it in a pile, and someone else distributes them. Thanks and Happy Holidays! WTF!?

I have been trying to find a way through local hospitals, shelters, and such to arrange to do this very thing this year and have, so far, been shut out! I mean, I get that we live in a ridiculously litigious society and everyone, including the beneficiary organizations want to cover their asses, or be P.C. or whatever, but come on! All I want to do is show my daughter just how much joy the act of real giving actually has on not only the receiver but the giver as well. Well, so far, no good. But I’ve not given up yet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home